Ways to measure your Century car battery condition
Car owners know the importance of a car battery and the necessary means to maintain it for longer and lasting life. It sets your engine and other components of your car to start, so it is better to have it checked from time to time. Visiting the nearest car battery shop in your area or calling for a battery help for monthly maintenance are two of the ways to do it. Also, opt for a reliable and trustworthy car battery such as Century Excel car battery to avoid battery failure on the road.
If you are a car enthusiast and knows the in-and-out of a car battery, it is easier for you to test it on your own. We laid out some ways you can use to measure if your car battery is failing or is still fully loaded with an electrical charge. Always remember that a healthy battery has a charge of 12.5 volts or above, if it goes below the required range then you should consider to visit a car battery shop to check on your battery.
A voltmeter is an instrument used for measuring the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It can also be used to measure the voltage charge a car battery has. Remember that voltmeter has two types: digital and analogue; Digital voltmeter uses numerical or numbers to show the range of volts present in the battery. On the other hand, analogue uses an analogue scale with a deflecting pointer to give its readings.
It is said that digital voltmeter is the best choice since it gives you a more accurate reading. But before you start using a digital voltmeter on your Century car battery or any ordinary car battery you have to see the following:
- Check your car ignition first. Make sure it is turned off and all the lights have been shut down.
- Then, remove the battery’s positive terminal cover.
- After removing the cover, connect the positive lead to the positive terminal and the negative lead to the negative terminal.
- Now check your voltmeter after you have done all the things stated.
If the reading is between 12.5 and 12.7 volts it indicates that your Century car battery is in good condition and won’t cause a possible car breakdown.
A hydrometer is a device used to measure the gravity of a battery to determine its state of charge. It helps to measure the specific gravity of liquids which indicates if your Century car battery is fully charged, undercharged or faulty. Before proceeding, make sure to avoid using a metal thermometer whenever you measure an electrolyte temperature. Metal can react to sulfuric acid that may cause an explosion so it is best to prevent yourself from using a metal thermometer.
- After assuring that you are using the right device, remove the caps from the top of the battery.
- Then dip the tip of the hydrometer into the first cell and give the hydrometer bulb a light squeeze and release it to allow the electrolyte to enter the device’s needle.
- Read the electrolyte specific gravity and if it falls between 1.265 and 1.299 it means your Century car battery is on the right condition.
Another device you can use is a multimeter. This little device is similar to a voltmeter, however, a multimeter can measure ohms and amperes, the unit of resistance and current of an electrical charge. If you want to use a multimeter to test your Century car battery’s condition, you can see the following:
- Connect it to the device’s test probes and check its voltage or amperage. But first, you have to turn the headlights on to get rid of any surface charge.
- Set the multimeter to Volt DC then turn the headlights off.
- Connect the multimeter to the positive and negative battery terminals, remember that the positive is usually the red terminal and the negative is the black one.
- After connecting to the respective terminal, check if your car battery has around 12.5 volts and if it does it means your Century car battery is in good condition.
Where can I check my car battery voltage?
Do you have the right tools to check on your battery? If not, do not worry! Just drop by to a car battery shop near your area for battery check-up. Locate Century car battery dealers here. If you’re located in Klang Valley, you may also drop by at Century Warranty Centre to check your battery condition.
Century Battery has a social media presence on Facebook and Instagram where you can be updated about Century’s product news. You can also visit our Lazada and Shopee official store to check for Century car battery!
For car battery delivery and installation service in Klang Valley, you can always call our Century Battery Assist hotline at 1-800-228837. Our Battery Assist is always available and on the go so do not hesitate to ring us if you require any car battery service. Save our number and expect a reliable 24hr car battery assistant is on its way!